Wednesday, October 25, 2006

Wonder Woman reminds me of MY strength

In the 20th century there were few female role models that embodied strength, independence, beauty and brains. In fact, the prototypical icon would eventually be created by a husband and wife team in the early 1940s -- a working relationship that was uncommon, then, but would essentially provide the impetus for the ultimate, albeit fictional, superheroine.

Wonder Woman was first introduced in DC Comics by William Moulton Marston and wife Elizabeth Holloway Marston. She first appeared in All Star Comics #8 in December 1941 and was one of the first (and most famous) comic book uber-women; her defining role would be immortalized when she became a founding member of the Justice League.

And she was my hero.

In fact, I remember the first Halloween that I was given an opportunity to pick my character/costume. Up until then, I had simply chosen the flavour of the day -- a ghost, a ballerina, a Greek princess (please don't ask!). Then, at age seven, I turned. Earlier that year I had been introduced to comics -- a black hole for our literary house, but a boon for my visually starved mind. I spent hours in comic book stores and even more time becoming acquainted with the histories of various characters. While Captain America and Superman dominated the first-view racks, my fascination was drawn to quieter, more complex characters -- characters such as the brazen and bold, the sexy and sassy Wonder Woman.

As a fictional role model, Wonder Woman was the ultimate conception of an empowered, independent female. She was tough yet compassionate, intelligent and strong, and she had an overblown sense of justice that I found compelling and fascinating.

Of course, my introduction to Wonder Woman would leave an indelible mark on my early psyche. As a teenager I thought tough meant standing up and out (hell, Wonder Woman DID wear a one-piece body-piece with boobs out to here and legs up to there!); I also thought it meant that justice reigned supreme. While I didn't quite appreciate the softer side of feminity at the time, I would eventually grow into that realm of womanhood -- and again, return to the role model of the uber-woman.

I am not the only one. A charity event in Portland, Oregan is also returning to the tough-as-nails female protector. Raphael House and Bradley-Angel House are hosting the Wonder Woman Day on Sunday Oct. 29. The free all-ages event will include a trio of comic book artists signing Wonder Woman comics and special art prints, as well as a silent art auction with over 100 of the world's top artists contributing original art. The funds will go towards the advocacy and aid programs the shelters currently offer.

The fact is as a woman there are fewer role models both then and now. While famous woman continue to exist very few clearly do not rely on men for protection, guidance or aid. While I do not advocate the abolition of community or a lack of reliance among one other to fight and solve problems and issues, I do advocate the use of role-models to help us appreciate our innate strengths. In a world where women continue to make up 80% of the poverty stricken, these role models are more necessary now than ever before.

For that reason, I will be dedicating my Sunday to Wonder Woman.
I ask you to do the same.
Your actions do not have to grand or extreme -- but on Sunday take some time out and do at least ONE activity that epitimizes what it means to YOU to be a strong, dedicated feminist.

Lord knows, we certainly need more of those.

No comments: